Thursday, May 2, 2013

How snarky is too snarky?

Friends,

This is my free space to say anything I want to; my online diary. It’s not about sharing secrets per se, but rather about discussing whatever is on my mind.

I’ve seen a number of discussions recently about the smarminess of online conversations with different ‘experts’ opining that anonymity makes it easier for the worst behavior to show up. I don’t really want to get into a discussion of all of the possible reasons for the level of *snarkiness / cynicism / rudeness / whatever term you prefer* to be on the rise.  I have my opinion, like everyone else, but I long ago learned that opinions are like assholes: everyone has one and they all smell about the same.

I’m more interested in raising the level of online civility and I’m not alone.  I’m participating in a Social Experiment – The No Library Whining Zone. For 24 hours, we pledge not to complain or whine about libraries publically. Details at http://librariankate7578.com/2013/05/01/the-no-library-whining-zone-a-social-experiment/

{Acknowledgements to Kate Kosturski, Andy Woodworth, Liz Burns, and Steve Thomas. If you haven’t heard their names, they are Librarian Rockstars, Movers & Shakers in the Library World, and Big in Lithuania (inside joke that 100 or so people will laugh at).}

I don’t need to expand on Kate’s blog, but I have thought it would be great to expand this experiment outside of the Library world to everyone online. I envision a NoWhineWednesday movement. In which we declare every Wednesday to be Whine Free on all Social Media sites. Will you join me?

Here are some inspirational pictures that hang on my cubicle walls.


 

Recognize that we are not all alike

Ensure expectations are clear

Seek to be inclusive

Project a positive outlook

Explore other’s viewpoints

Communicate for understanding

Treat others as they wish to be treated

 

Wishing everyone a peaceful day free of whining and complaints.

Namaste,

Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment